Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Princeton Record Exchange

I. Want. To. Live. There. Not Princeton in general, but the Record Exchange, more specifically. I love how obscurely the store is placed, like it's a hidden or something. It kinda makes you feel like you're in on some super cool secret. When you first walk in, you see rows and rows and rows of cd's and records. Their "Cheap CD" collection is pretty impressive. I actually bought a copy of Sonic Youth's 1991 album "Dirty Boots" for $1.99, but they basically have everything you could imagine. Going through those rows of vinyl after vinyl was really a spiritual experience for me. To smell the scent of old paper, to see the album artwork, and to actually touch the slightly frayed and damaged covers was just magical. It's like you could feel the history behind each and every record. The prices kind of shocked me. The first couple records I looked at were from $14-$25ish, then as I looked farther, I found $1 boxes of records that weren't very popular, and as I looked a little more avidly, I found a few up in the 100's. This was a big jump. There were probably ones that costed even more money than that, but I had a budget. I'm so going back next time I get some more money. Maybe I could take a trip there on my birthday. Maybe I should just get a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment